Every new YPO member wishing to join a forum is expected to participate in a one day Forum Fundamentals training led by a Certified Facilitator. I relate to this day as an initiation of sorts for the new member. It serves as a formal immersion into the twin pillars of forum structure and forum spirit.
- New members gain knowledge about the basics of the forum system and its rationale for effective functioning.
- Throughout the day you come to realize the ways in which the 8 Forum Success Principles are interwoven into the operations of a high performing team of learning leaders.
- You learn the “road rule skills” of how to optimally participate and contribute in a high trust environment.
- You will appreciate why adherence to these codes and success principles are necessary in crafting a dynamic incubator for growth.
At the same time, Forum Fundamentals training engages the heart of forum. The training invites participants into experiential learning exercises that showcase what a well-run forum look and feels like.
- You discover how to take well-calibrated and healthy risks; all in the service of developing trust and openness while crafting a safe container that is transformative.
- Experience how exercising vulnerable power leads to healthy emotional dynamics.
- Discover the reasons why clean interpersonal processes create deep and fulfilling relationships in forum and in your life.
So, on the one hand, a thorough and thoughtful explanation of the “letter of the law” is essential.
- This “science of forum” includes strategic thinking and planning, as well as the block and tackle dimensions of the setting.
And, on the other hand, the “spirit of the law” involves an experiential exploration into the dynamics of interpersonal group process.
- Opportunities to practice the forum protocol principles of empathy, listening, inquiring and sharing, delivers first-hand knowledge of the powerful forum experience that new members have been hearing about.
Bert’s teaching mastery unfolds naturally. He puts you at ease and you trust him right away. His well-developed sense of humor is complemented with a breadth of knowledge that makes learning a fun adventure. As chapter forum chair, turning regularly to Bert for his services has been my best call. He always delivers fundamentals and moderator trainings with good humor and high value, and our chapter trusts him to bring transformative experiences to retreats.
Our WPO Dallas Chapter is appreciative of your excellent work in helping to kick off and facilitate the first meetings with new forums (both member forums and also NextGen forums). Members of the young adult forum were inspired, and told me you were terrific in helping them with the need for commitment, mutual respect and confidentiality. Recently, some of us WPO’ers were reflecting on how you bring a creative blend of support and challenge to forum work, so as to bake the learning without burning it. Thank you for walking us along that edge.
Bert is an exceptional teacher and an invaluable partner in our YPO Forum training program. What sets Bert apart is not his strong ability to connect a new YPO member to the core principles and values of Forum. Rather, it is his ability to help a YPO member truly experience the power of Forum as part of the training experience that makes him so special. I never hesitate to ask members to spend a whole day with Bert because I know they will leave that day energized by the power of Forum and even more excited about the value of YPO. Inviting Bert into your forum creates transformation. Indeed, it may prove to be the most transformative experience your forum will have.
Just a quick thank you for the Forum Fundamentals training yesterday. I have a much deeper appreciation for the concept and the beauty of what I consider to be a very exciting part of YPO. Your teaching style is at once informative and creative. “Playfully insightful” captures it for me.
Bert is not only a world-class professional trainer, but he does so with a confidence that is complemented by highly attuned interpersonal sensitivity and empathic attunement. People are drawn to Bert as a person, enjoying his openness, authenticity and warmth. I would be delighted to furnish any further information, either written or via telephone, that might assist you in your decision-making relative to Dr. Parlee.
As a large enterprise level organization moving towards increased global complexity, we needed larger, more empowering frameworks within which to manage our many complications and contradictions. Bert introduced us to Polarity Management and related Integral mental models, allowing us to have next level conversations with new stage concepts. Over the next few years with Bert serving as coach, facilitator, coach and consultant, our leadership team was much better prepared to negotiate the shift from a print to a digital foundation.